Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Cupcakes and Hard Candy


Happy Halloween!  Don't be scared...the blood isn't real.  This is my red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting, red gel frosting (blood) and almond hard candy (glass).  I can't take full credit for this idea, but I did do all of the work.  I either borrowed this idea from pinterest or foodgawker...I can't remember, but go look at both sites if you haven't...they are both amazing.

I'm not posting the cupcake recipe because I have no idea where I got the recipe from (man, I sound like I don't know or remember anything!)...I don't want to take credit for someone else's hard work.  But, if you want a good red velvet recipe I know that I have used recipes from the fabulous Paula Deen.  Here's the hard candy recipe...it's so easy.

Hard Candy

1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 3/4 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
1 cup water
2 tablespoons flavored extract 
1 teaspoon food coloring, if desired

-Line a sheet cake pan or any cake pan with heavy duty foil. Sprinkle the foil very generously with confectioners' sugar.
-In a large heavy saucepan, combine the white sugar, corn syrup, and water. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves (took me about 7 minutes). Stop stirring, and boil until a candy thermometer reads 300 to 310 degrees F (took me about 30 minutes). Remove from heat.
-Stir in the extract and food coloring. Pour onto the prepared foil, and allow to cool and harden. Crack into pieces, and store in an airtight container.

*recipe adapted from allrecipes.


What a delicious looking weiner he is!  I hope you have a spooktacular Halloween!



No comments:

Post a Comment